Translator's Workplace in Wine
[Category:WINE]] These are instructions for using Translator's Workplace in Linux using Wine
This has been tested using Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid only. If you need to do this for some other distro or version of Linux, then there may be some variations to the actual steps you need to take. Please remember that Linux is case sensitive.
You can use whatever install method you normally use such as running System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager or using the command line. Find Wine in the Synaptic list and mark it for installation. This step should automatically install wine and wine-gecko.
After installing Wine and before you install Translator's Workplace, you will need to get a specific Windows DLL that is currently missing. The best way to do that for Wine is to use a script called winetricks. Using your browser of choice, go to:
Follow the instructions for saving this script. Basically you right click on the script link and choose Save Link As, then navigate to some place in your home folder and save it. Remember the location where you saved this.
- Open a terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal)
- Navigate to the location above where you saved winetricks, for instance
- At the prompt type:
- In the dialog that comes up, scroll down and find
vcrun6and click it so that it has a check mark.
- Click OK
A download will now take place which may take a few minutes, depending on your connection. A license agreement will pop up which you must agree to for the installation to proceed. Once the installation step is complete you will be back at a prompt.
Install Translator's Workplace
- Insert the TW5 DVD if you have not already done so.
- In the terminal type:
- Follow the rest of the install steps as you are prompted, this will take some time.
You will see various things scroll by in the terminal while this installation is taking place. I did nothing about these messages and the install worked fine. Once you are back at the prompt you can close the Terminal and eject the TW DVD.
After the installation is complete, at this point you can not run TW5 from within Wine because the links provided have some errors that need to be corrected. This is the simplest way I have found for making these corrections. For those of you who know how to find the actual .desktop files and correct those instead, feel free to do that. It is very important that these corrections are made before you try to run TW for the first time.
- Go to Application -> Wine -> Programs -> Translator's Workplace 5.0 and right click on Translator's Workplace 5, then choose Add this launcher to panel.
- Do the same thing for Find Infobases
It is very important that you Right Click and add this to the panel so that it can be corrected.
Once you have these 2 shortcuts on the panel, they can now be corrected. To make the corrections:
- Right click on the Translator's Workplace 5 shortcut that you just added to the panel and choose Properties.
- click in the Command: line and hit the End key.
- For this last section not in quotes, the back slashes need to be doubled and 2 letters made into capitals, so it will look like this:
- click the Close button.
Next we will make some similar corrections to the Find InfoBases shortcut:
- Right click on the Find Infobases shortcut you added to the panel and choose Properties.
- Again click in the Command: line and hit the End key.
- For this last section not in quotes, the back slashes need to be doubled and the back slash at the very end taken off completely, so it will look like this:
- Click the Close button.
Run Translator's Workplace
Now you can click on the shortcuts on the panel that we just corrected and both of these should run, giving proper toolstrips and menus. Do not try to use the links under Applications -> Wine, etc. unless you know how to fix the related .desktop files and have already done so. If TW is run incorrectly, the first time this happens it puts erroneous things in the registry and potentially will not run correctly after that.
At this point it is a good idea to delete the two items that were put on your desktop during the install, because they also have errors. So single click on Translator's Workplace 5.lnk and hit the delete key, then single click on Translator's Workplace 5.desktop and hit the delete key.
It is also possible to edit menu items by right clicking on Applications and choosing Edit Menus. But I have been unsuccessful getting this work for TW in Wine. I can go to the Wine menu items and make the same corrections as I did above to the panel shortcuts, but they do not work. After some experimenting I have decided to leave the instructions the way they are for now, using the panel shortcuts, and if I find a better way of making these corrections I will change this instruction page at that time.
Please leave comments here if you find any problems.