Setup IRC Client
Our IRC channel is publicly accessible. This page contains instructions for how to set up XChat for regularly connecting to our IRC channel.
Set up XChat in Ubuntu
- Install the
xchat-gnome), such as by using Applications > Ubuntu Software Centre.
- Choose Applications > Internet > XChat IRC.
- Choose XChat > Network List if the Network List dialog does not appear on its own.
- Type in something for the nick names, user name, and real name. For example, the 5 boxes could contain these 5 entries if your full name is "John Smith":
- Select Skip network list on startup
- In the Networks list, click FreeNode. Click Edit.
- Select Auto connect to this network at startup
- In the Channels to join: box, type
- Click Close, Close. Choose XChat > Quit.
- Choose Applications > Internet > XChat IRC. It should automatically join our IRC channel.
When you log in to your computer, you can start XChat and leave it on.
- Choose Settings > Preferences.
- In the Interface - Text box category, select Enable time stamps.
- In the Interface - Input box category, replace the Nick completion suffix with a colon (
:), and in Nick completion sorted, click Last-spoke order.
- In the Interface - Channel switcher category, for Switcher type click Tabs. In Show channel switcher at, click Top.
- Most importantly, in the Chatting - Alerts category, select Private Message and Highlighted Message for the rows of Show tray balloons on, Blink tray icon on, and Blink task bar on.
- In the Chatting - Logging category, select Enable logging of conversations to disk if you want to automatically save the chats so you can look up what was said at a later time.
- Click OK.
- On the View menu, clear Topic Bar.
- On the View menu, clear Menu Bar. You can access the menu bar again by right-clicking the chat window.
If you find the build messages to be too verbose, you can ignore them by typing:
/ignore architekton!*@* ALL /ignore wtekton!*@* ALL
Register your nick on FreeNode
Optionally registering on FreeNode will let you send Private Messages in addition to merely talking on the public IRC channel.
You can register an IRC FreeNode username by doing these steps: (partly gleaned from http://freenode.net/faq.shtml#nicksetup )
- Choose Applications > Internet > XChat IRC. Let it auto-connect to FreeNode.
- Verify that the lower-left of the window has your correct preferred nick choice, "jsmith", and that the freenode tab doesn't report any nick collisions or claims that you need to authenticate for the nick you have chosen. Otherwise you may need to choose another spelling of your nick that no one else has already registered, preferably without any underscores.
- Register by typing:
/msg nickserv register <your-password> <your-email>
Note that this password should definitely be unique, and it will also probably be sent over the Internet in plaintext.
- Protect your email by typing:
/msg nickserv set hidemail on
- Choose XChat > Network List.
- In the Networks list, click FreeNode. Click Edit. In the Nickserv password box, type your FreeNode password. Click Close, Close. Choose XChat > Quit.
- Choose Applications > Internet > XChat IRC. It should auto-connect to FreeNode, authenticate to NickServ, and join our channel.
- Check your email to confirm your email address with FreeNode.