Difference between revisions of "Open Source Development Opportunities"
|Line 64:||Line 64:|
Revision as of 12:18, 21 January 2010
This page is for anyone who:
- Wants to help develop software used in bible translation on a casual basis.
- Wants to gain experience in software development.
Open source software development is a good way to gain experience. If you are a new software developer,doing or recently completed a undergraduate degree or are a software developer looking to gain experience in a different field, this is an opportunity for you. In LSDev we use lots of open source software to write our software. Often there are improvements to the frameworks or tools that we would like to make but don't get round to it because of other priorities. As these tools are developed using an open source model it is possible for anyone, anywhere in the world with a Internet connection to make improvements.
This page contains lists of software improvements that we would like to see done. Currently they consist of Mono bugs and features but other projects will be added as they come up. We are currently using Mono to port Fieldworks FieldWorks to Linux. Mono is also used for other SIL software applications.
If you intend to work on any item on this page email us to let know so we can reduce the chance of duplicate work - tom_hindle at sil.org
Before you start:
- Read the relevant open source project contributing page. http://mono-project.com/Contributing
- Build the project from its source code. http://mono-project.com/Compiling_Mono_From_SVN
- You may need to learn how to use patch and diff. Ten minutes guide
- Sign up to the relevant open source projects forums or mailing lists. http://www.go-mono.com/forums/
- Create your account in the relevant open source projects bug tracking software. https://bugzilla.novell.com/
- If you haven't done much open source development pick an item with an easy rating so you get used to how the process works.
- Email us to let us know what you working on.
Difficulty ratings are a very rough estimate. Don't be expect at item, even with an easy rating, to only take 10 minutes work, especially if your new to working on the particular open source project. With experience the time it takes to solve an issue will greatly decrease, so please don't be put off it seems hard going at first.
Project: Mono Description: making toolstrips drag-able. Link: https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=341998 Priority: medium Difficulty: hard
Project: Mono Description: mono Xpath fix Link: https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=497017 Priority: medium Difficulty: medium
Project: Mono Description: mono Xml attributes with DTD fix. Link: https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=508296 Priority: low Difficulty: easy
Project: Mono Description: Improve Datagrid view. Link: https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=490247 Priority: medium Difficulty: medium
Project: Mono Description: String issue Link: https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=494940 Priority: low Difficulty: easy
Project: Mono Description: Fix bug in ScrollableControl behavior Link: https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=500796 Priority: medium Difficulty: easy