FieldWorks Installation Instructions
These are instructions for installing and testing FieldWorks on Linux.
We urge you to run FieldWorks with Compiz turned on and set to normal. This gives much better screen performance when using FieldWorks. To check your settings, choose System > Preferences > Appearance. Click the Visual Effects tab. Click Normal.
Using your browser of choice, go to:
and follow the instructions there for adding the SIL package repository to your list of software sources. Make sure that you can now see
packages.sil.org in the Origin tab on the left-hand side of the Synaptic Package Manager.
Go back to Software Sources and make an additional entry for
packages.sil.org, but this time add
-experimental to the distro name. For example, if you are currently using
lucid-experimental. (You don't need to add the key again.) Close the window and click the reload button.
You should now see the following packages under
packages.sil.org in Synaptic's Origin view:
fieldworks for installation should automatically select the other two as well. Proceed with the installation in the normal way.
For testing purposes, some sample data has been provided. Please use this sample data for Alpha testing. Importing your own data is not encouraged during Alpha testing. To use this data, it needs to be copied to your home area.
Copying data using Nautilus:
- Choose Places > Computer.
- Nagivate to File System > usr > share > fieldworks > ReleaseData.
- Select Sena 2.xml and Sena 3.xml.
- Choose Edit > Copy.
- Choose Go > Home Folder.
- Choose Edit > Paste.
To run either Translation Editor (TE) or Language Explorer (Flex), do the following:
- Choose Applications > Education > FieldWorks Translation Editor or FieldWorks Language Explorer.
- On the dialog, click Open an existing Project.
- Navigate to your home folder (Personal) and click Sena 2.xml or Sena 3.xml.
TE or Flex should now open with the data you selected. The next time you run the application it will open with this same data.
To run the Demo Movies in the Flex Help menu you need the Adobe Flash plugin. To get this the partner repository must be enabled.
To enable the partner repository:
- Open Synaptic Package Manager and go to Settings > Repositories and click on the Other Software tab.
- If the partner repository does not already show in the list, then click the Add button at the bottom.
- Copy this line and paste it into the APT line, changing the lucid to karmic if needed:
- deb http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner
- Now click Add Source, then click Close and Reload.
To check for the adobe-flashplugin, do the following:
- Using the Synaptic Package Manager,
- Choose Edit > Search. In the Search box, type
adobe-flashpluginand click Search.
- If it is not already installed, right-click the package and click Mark for Installation.
- On the toolbar, click Apply.
After the installation completes you should now be able to play the demo movies in the Flex Help.
If, after you run the Demo Movies, your Firefox becomes unresponsive, open a Terminal by choosing Applications > Accessories > Terminal, and run
$ killall firefox
This should close down all instances of Firefox running so that you can use it again.