Balsa: Basic Language Software Appliance
Basic Affordable Language Software Appliance
Balsa's main website is here: Balsa .
Technical background on this wiki Low-Power Computing.
BALSA in one sentence
Balsa is a hardware+software computer solution for use by language workers in remote areas, where power for computer use is a major problem.
BALSA is about three kinds of simplification of the language computing experience:
- Computer administration (installation, maintenance, repair, backup)
- Application complexity (high-end linguistic analysis)
- Price which makes it affordable to a larger group of people
BALSA Strategy Outline
A strategy for implementing BALSA answers these questions:
1. Who are we? (The purpose and values of all stakeholders)
2. Where do we want to go and why? (impact statement)
3. How do we get there?
4. How do we know when we get there?
Components of a strategy statement
1. Executive summary (brief problem statement, benefits, support for bigger picture, key elements of plan, alternatives, costs, action hoped for)
2. Current situation (Strengths, weaknesses, challenges, opportunities, stories)
3. Target End-State (Outputs, outcomes, impact in time frames or phases, success factors)
4. Requirements (resources, standards, commitments, pitfalls to overcome, coordination)
5. Implementation Program (Activities, phasing, budgets, marketing, monitoring, closing)