OLPC (One Laptop Per Child) is a non-profit foundation whose goal is:
To provide children around the world with new opportunities to explore, experiment and express themselves.
This is being achieved through the creation and distribution of:
A unique machine with features created specifically for children of the emerging world.
This is the home page for OLPC information in this wiki. Click here for OLPC Software.
The Balsa Prototype Jaunty version runs on OLPC hardware.
Even though the OLPC is "just" a Linux machine, it needs its own section because it is in many ways a separate OS platform from other Linux systems. Some of the things that make OLPC different from a software development perspective include:
- The Sugar environment is very different from GNOME/KDE
- The Bitfrost security mechanism requires applications to be structured very differently
- There is no package manager like Synaptic or Yum
- The Fedora OS underneath is very stripped down
- The OS is tightly controlled (issued as a disk image, and can't easily be added to or changed)